What's on My Bookshelf?



I typically read about 3 books or more at a time.  I usually have a non-fiction art book I am flipping through, a non-fiction religious book and a book with a plot.

Currently, I am reading The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates.  It is a non-fiction book, but it is written as a narrative.  Here is the book description:  Two kids named Wes Moore were born blocks apart within a year of each other. Both grew up fatherless in similar Baltimore neighborhoods and had difficult childhoods; both hung out on street corners with their crews; both ran into trouble with the police. How, then, did one grow up to be a Rhodes Scholar, decorated veteran, White House Fellow, and business leader, while the other ended up a convicted murderer serving a life sentence? Wes Moore, the author of this fascinating book, sets out to answer this profound question. In alternating narratives that take readers from heart-wrenching losses to moments of surprising redemption, The Other Wes Moore tells the story of a generation of boys trying to find their way in a hostile world.

"The chilling truth is that his story could have been mine. The tragedy is that my story could have been his."


It is a very intriguing premise.  So far, it is interesting and I recommend it.  For some reason, I am having a hard time getting into it right now.  I think because of the recent shootings in the U.S (the one in the movie theater in Colorado and then the one that just happened this weekend in Wisconsin (which is about an hour from where I live) at the Sikh temple) I am having a hard time reading about or watching anything with violence. 

The other two books are a bit more light-hearted.  These are the two I am enjoying now:

The One Year Book of Inspiration for Girlfriends: Juggling Not-So-Perfect, Often-Crazy, but Gloriously Real Lives (One Year Books) is a Christian inspirational book.  There is one entry for each day of the year and it covers such topics as "Finding Your Joy", "Spread Too Thin", "Dwindling Resources", "Will You Be My Friend?" and "Getting a Do-Over".  Each section has a Bible verse, real-life inspirational stories and tips, steps to take, questions to ask yourself and quick doses of encouragement.  I can tell that this book was written by a conservative Christian and while I don't always agree with everything, for the most part the book has been great.  This is the kind of book I like to read at night before bed...  one you can read in short bursts.. pick up and put down at any time and still get a lot out of it.  Here are some snapshots from the book:


The last book I am showing you today is Stash & Smash: Art Journal Ideas.  This book is small and thin, but each page does have a LOT of ideas.  I like that there is a lot of little pictures.. each page is crammed with fun things.  I can see picking up this book when I am stuck for a prompt some day.  Most of the ideas are not "new-to-me" but they spark reminders of things I can do.  For example, "#61:  Mix and match strips of color cut or town from magazine pages."  or #25. Handy Bookmarks-- tie fibers to the tops of pages to use as bookmarks.  This book would be a great start for a beginning art journaler!


4 comments

enthusiastically, dawn said...

Love your choices...the collage book looks cool. Actually all look interesting. Thanks!

Andria said...

Hi Marcia! I enjoyed reading about the books you are looking at right now. I like to have that same kind of variety going on, too. I was just looking at that last art journaling magazine, but passed it by because it was so short for such a high price, but it does look like some pretty fun eye candy.

AM Zafaran said...

I liked the look of the third one. It's true what you wrote about violence. I have trouble sometimes because I get so involved in the books I read.

Jenny Petricek said...

Thanks for sharing these! When you pick a book off the shelf at the bookstore, it's hard to know for sure if it's up your alley or not, and I always appreciate reviews from fellow artists! I will definitely be looking for the journal book on Amazon!