Crayon Transfer Technique at Artists in Blogland

Hello.  I wrote a tutorial over at Artists in Blogland that is featured today.   I'm reposting here on my blog in case you missed it.  You should check out the group.  There is a lot going on over there:  Technique on Tuesday, Color the Quote challenges and Show & Tell Saturdays. 

And look!  My "Heart Speaks in Whispers" postcard is featured in the "I Have a Secret" Etsy Treasury.  Isn't that a fun treasury?

Crayon Transfer Technique

Today I am going to show you a very fun technique for unleashing your inner child in your art journal.  When I was little, I would use this crayon transfer technique all the time.  It was so magical to me.  I had forgotten all about it until I saw a blog post on a crafty momma blog.  Visit the Chocolate Muffin Tree to see what she did with her kids.

First, start by coloring a loose piece of paper in patches.  Color really hard.. use those muscles!  Regular crayons work just fine, but you could also use gelatos or oil pastels.


My daughter helping to color a sheet.
Page covered in crayon and oil pastels
Place your colored page face down on top of a page in your art journal.

Write, draw and doodle with a ball point pen on top of the paper.  Apply lots of pressure with the pen.  While you are writing, the crayon will transfer over to the journal page.
Writing on top of the paper.


When you lift the paper, your drawings and words will transfer.
I don't want to confuse you, but another way to transfer is to place the colored sheet face up in between two pages.  Draw on the back of one of the pages, and the crayons will also transfer (in reverse).

Here is what I mean:
Colored paper underneath.  Draw on top with pen.

Here are a few more examples of in progress journal pages with crayon transfers on them.






What to do with the leftover crayon-colored sheets?  You can tear them up to create backgrounds!





Thanks for reading!  Best wishes, Marcia
Art is Basic website
My Art
Etsy Shop
Pinterest

9 comments

GlorV1 said...

Thank you for the tutorial. I learned something new. How interesting this is and looks like a lot of fun.:)

Beverley Baird said...

Love this technique! Thanks so much for a very detailed tutorial!

Anonymous said...

This is so great and so much fun. I told Jessica I am going to try this in my journal - maybe today! xox

Rhonda Halushka said...

Love this idea! And great pages at the end!

Teddi said...

here's to new techniques to try! thanks for sharing marcia. :)

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading this post and the technique :) thanks for sharing

Andria said...

Such a super-cool technique!

storybeader said...

I saw one of your journal pages over at Glue it Tuesday, and came searching around. This is so neat! {:-Deb

JustMeAM said...

What a cool idea! Thank you for sharing!