Happy New Year!

Hello all my blogging friends!  I have lots of fun plans for 2012 related to art.  For a Christmas present to myself I bought some new Rheotech paints.  I love them...  I had been trying out random types of paints throughout the past couple of years and usually bought the cheaper ones.  It makes such a difference to have quality paints.  Mixing and blending are smoother, the colors are richer and they layer on top of each other better.  Since the pigments are stronger, the paints will last longer than the cheap ones. 

I signed up for Mindy Lacefield's True Free Spirit year-long class because I've always admired her artwork.  So far, it has been very fun.  She walked through the steps she took to create the picture you see on her class description.  The video aspect of this class is especially helpful to get new inspiration for approaches to mixed media art. 

I made these two paintings.  They are both a kangaroo and baby, but the backgrounds are slightly different.  I was focused on playing with the backgrounds and blending colors.  I like the kangaroo imagery with a mom protecting her baby. It's kind of fitting for my life now.  Next time I will play with the poses and expressions more!


7 comments

Anonymous said...

Love your whimisical and Mom centered work....you did have fun playing. xox

Glycérine said...

love them all !!! great !

Teddi said...

well done marcia! i've seen some delightful paintings from people in that class. :)

PiaRom said...

Your paintings are so cute and bright and fun! love them both :)

Carolyn Dube said...

So vibrant and playful! I love how the black works with your kangaroos!

Dianne said...

Gorgeous color and very fun!!

sharon said...

So love the colours in these paintings make me think of Chagall.