How I Organize Art Journal Supplies

Last week,  I spent some time organizing my art journaling and scrapbooking supplies.  Everything was getting so chaotic, I could not find things when I wanted them.  Have you ever had that feeling?

Would you like to see how I organize my supplies?  I will give you a peak into my "art studio."

Keep in mind that I have been making art (and teaching art) for years and years and have collected a lot of supplies.  I pick up supplies when I see them cheap (Black Friday!), go to art supply swaps, garage sales and thrift stores.  If you are starting out with art, do NOT feel like you need to go out and buy a bunch of stuff.  A set of watercolors, some markers, pens and craft paint will get you started.

My "art studio" is really just a corner we set up in our basement.   The left half is my art table and the right half is a workdesk for whatever (my husband ships out his Ebay sales, I use the computer to watch shows on Hulu.) 


This is the supply shelf next to my desk.  My in-laws brought over this utility shelf they weren't using last week and it fits perfectly in my corner.  It's not pretty, but it gets the job done.


I bought this nice white shelf from Target.  It was a shoe organizer, but fit nicely on my desk.  The supplies I use often are in the tubs within easy reach.  The little white boxes were also bought from Target in the kitchen drawer organizer section.


This box has spray inks.  Some I made by filling up cosmetic spray bottles with liquid watercolor.

Box for patterned tapes

A box for inks

A box for Pan Pastels and tools

Scissors and tape

Assorted tools and adhesives

Random "embellishments" and stencil tools


My marker storage box (from the 31 Bags company).  I think you're actually supposed to store
the pens flat, but I haven't had too much of a problem storing them like this.

These drawers hold paper.  The bottom drawer is paper pads for scrapbooking.

A shelf of old books to cut pictures from for collages.

Stamps and stamp pads

I have a rolling storage cart for paper ephemera.  The top drawer holds any images and photos I might use in an art journal or collage.  I have another plastic tub of unorganized papers that I need to sort.

The middle drawer holds painted papers that I have made.

The bottom drawer has scraps of patterned paper.

On the metal utility shelves I put other supplies all in separate boxes or totes to keep them organized.
I have a box for my stencils.

A box for rub-on letters (all of these I've gotten for free!)

Stickers

A plastic basket for cut out words or 
other small paper embellishments I don't want to get lost in the shuffle.

A plastic shoe box for postage stamps (I use to collect these when I was little)

And a plastic box of acrylic paints

Phew!  That was a long post.  I hope this may have given you some ideas for organizing your art supplies!

Linking to WOYWW


Art is Basic website
My Art
Etsy Shop
Pinterest

26 comments

CarlaKH said...

what a great set of supplies! Love seeing where others create!

Emie58 said...

Love seeing your organization ideas... I really could use some help in that area.
Emie
(Sorry for the 2nd post.. I had a spelling error)

Anonymous said...

Love those food trays like your pan pastels are in. These things last forever......your storage system is similar to mine....xox

GlorV1 said...

Yes I did enjoy your post and captured ideas from it. Thank you.:)gloria

LiliansArt said...

especially love the 31 bag lol great space and wonderful pictures of your "stuff" lol

Unknown said...

You have a lot of fun crafting goodies. Thanks for stopping by. happy crafting #1

Annmakes said...

It was fun to see how you too have a REAL crafty studio. thank you for sharing on WOYWW. # 107

Unknown said...

Hello, Im Roberta 106, Im on my 2nd week of this and looking at every ones goodies has really got me doing things..now I cant wait till mine looks nice and tidy. And yes you have a lot of fun stuff I love all the type. I have one :-( but Im working on that. Thanks for letting me peek around. Bright Blessing to you and yours

Ali H said...

Oh wow ! Such multitude of stash ! No wonder you have to keep it all super organised or you would never find what you want - or remember what you have ! Thanks for showing us all the tidy places !! Ali#34

ddazzled71 said...

So pleased I stopped by today cos not only did we get to see your wonderful workspace but also your glorious stash. I so want to come and play. Your new shelving all looks fabulous. Have a great week and Happy WOYWW! Danie #14

Julia Dunnit said...

So you're a basket and drawers gal..certainly the baskets make moving stuff about easier - if you have to cart stuff to classes I think there's little sense storing them any other way...you can just pick up and go rather than 're-packing'.

Unknown said...

I think we are all waiting for invites to come and play now! My meager supplies do have homes to go to, my problem is making them stay there - they seem to spend more time just living on the desk were I am working with them..

Lynda #82

Kyla said...

This is great timing as my craft room is piled floor to ceiling with stash!! I have now nick named it "My Room of Shame!".

kyla

Anonymous said...

wow, so many cool supplies! and so organized!!! wonderful...
happy creating :)
Jana #71

April said...

Thank you for sharing your organizing tips. Don't you love free stuff.
:-) April #122

Unknown said...

Awesome peek into your studio. Great organizing tips. Thanks for sharing my friend!

Tammy N said...

You have a lot of supplies. I guess all artists do. Thanks for sharing your organization tips.

Unknown said...

Reading your post I'm like, "that me all the way" I always feel like I can't find stuff. Though I seem to do better with organized chaos. When I try and organize, I get anxious and overwhelmed. My family hides. No they really do. I have been building my supplies for about a yr now. They are sooo expensive, it's the only way. dickblic is great, I buy a few Neo Colors and Derwent Wc pencils a few at a time. Then I will move onto something else. I love shopping at the hardware store too. So many things you can substitute for cheaper. Well I really enjoyed my visit. Don't how I haven't been here yet. Have a great weekend. (((HUGS)))
Kimmie
WOYWW #4

Marcia Beckett said...

Thanks Emie. We'll see how this organization works for me!

Marcia Beckett said...

Cool. They seem pretty sturdy.

Marcia Beckett said...

When would you like to come over, lol. I wish I had an art friend nearby to art journal with.

Marcia Beckett said...

Sure come on over, lol! I tend to leave my stuff out for days.

Tracy said...

I have tape envy!

Ruby said...

Wow. You have such very cute journal supplies. Jealousy is creeping over me. Haha. But more than that, I also like how you organized them. So cool! :)

Ruby Badcoe @ WilliamsDataManagement.com

Sue G. said...

I am new to art journaling, though not new to painting on paper. You don't appear to have a filing system for clipped words and phrases. Mine are getting out of hand. I like them, and I even do calligraphy!

Do you know of anything other than a tub-type-thing?

Thank you for your help.

Marcia said...

Sue, I don't have a lot of clipped words, but I would just put them in a small envelope or a box with a lid. Sorry I don't have any better ideas!