True Free Spirit

I am taking Mindy Lacefield's yearlong online class and I had some time last night to work on one of the paintings. 


I am having a lot of fun and enjoy learning how Mindy approaches the painting process and I think I am learning some things that I could translate into my own painting styles and subject matter.  The only thing that bothers me is that clearly this picture looks like Mindy's style.  I like how it turned out, but it definitely feels like an imitation.  I just need to figure out how to incorporate these techniques into my own unique style.

My long time friend Jen recently had a new baby who she named Grace.  I was looking for a gift for her and found the perfect one!  She has 3 other children, named Faith, Hope and William.  There are lots of home decorations with Faith and Hope on them.  This one was perfect because it had 3 of her kids names, plus Love.  Isn't it great?  She did love it when she received it in the mail.


6 comments

Anonymous said...

I love our new piece, it looks a bit Mindy but really I see your voice in it. I can't wait to see where you take this...xox

artfullycarin@gmail.com said...

Cool piece! Sure, it looks a bit Mindy but still has enough you in it not to make it an imitation. And I find, the first one or two always come out looking a bit like the teacher's anyway, then you fly off in your own direction.

Roxana White said...

Very sweet artwork, so gentle and peaceful. Love the colors!

Unknown said...

This is beautiful and I know this lovely gift will be much appreciated.

Teddi said...

it's lovely! i looked at that class, and wondered if i would imitate her style too. so do you recommend it, or are you undecided cause it's too soon to tell?

Marcia Beckett said...

I am glad I signed up for it. Each month she explains and shows videos of one piece through its entire process of development. I am really enjoying it and I do love her style. If you want to see her steps for her layered and complex pieces then you would like it.