Mixed Media Canvases with Kids

Thanks for your kind comments about my fingers!  They are actually healing much faster than I expected. 

From time to time, I do a cross-post for both of my blogs.. My other blog is Art is Basic, where I chronicle my adventures teaching elementary art.  I thought you might enjoy seeing some of the mixed media canvases I did with an after school art class!

I thought painted canvases would be a great gift for kids to give someone in their family, so I decided to do an after school art class which I taught today.  The kids in this class were in grades K-5, so I had quite a range of skill levels.  23 kids signed up!
1st grade artwork

I bought a bunch of canvases, scrapbook papers and paints on Black Friday (yep, I braved the craziest shopping day to pick up some cheap art supplies.)
5th grader

Each kid chose a 12x12" or 9"x12" canvas and a selection of scrapbook papers.

The kids cut out shapes and imagery from the patterned scrapbook paper.  These were decoupaged on to the canvas using Mod-Podge puzzle saver glue (the kind that you can paint on to a finished puzzle to save it.)  Paint underneath and on top of each shape.  Smooth any wrinkles out with your fingers.  When you are finished mod-podging, use a hair dryer to dry the glue. 
3rd grader

The kids used acrylic craft paints to add paint and designs to their canvas.  Colored sharpie markers were also used for fine details.  It is very important to make sure the paint is dry (with a hair dryer) if you are going to use markers anywhere near the paint.  It will ruin the markers if the paint is wet.  Some students chose to write words on their picture.
Do you see the "love Marcia" at the bottom?  so sweet!  (made by a kindergartner)

The class ran from 3:15-5:00.  The kids mostly all finished by 4:45, which was good because we had a HUGE mess to clean up.  If I did this again, I might split it into two sessions.  It was a long day for the littlest kids. 
Kindergarten-- Lots of expression!
2nd grade

3rd grade
Kindergarten


2nd grade  Great shapes!
1st grade  I love the colors in this one.
4th grade girl

The four seasons-- 5th grade boy





(I just got a twitter account if you're interested in becoming my twitter friend.)

7 comments

Unknown said...

Love your work!
Bellalullo

artfullycarin@gmail.com said...

Oh my gosh! I love all their canvases! What a fun thing for them to do. I bet they loved it. And you really did some great things with the kids. My daughter wanted an arty party for her birthday and I outsourced it because it's winter and I thought it'd be too messy having 10 5 and 6 year olds arting at home...I've never been so disappointed (although the kids had fun, which I guess is the main thing). This I would have loved.

Anonymous said...

Tjese are fantastic, kids are so intuitive and fearless, bravo to your students. They all made me smile. xox

Marcia Beckett said...

Thanks so much! Aren't they so expressive? Carin, what kind of projects did your art host do?

Unknown said...

Just fantastic and so full of life, color, and soul!

Janet Joehlin said...

What a great job you have. It really shows that you love doing it! And you are an inspiration to these kids! Way to go!

Teddi said...

oh the children's art melts my heart. they must have a good art teacher. ;)